Monday, September 7, 2015

Lincoln Logs are possible!

Today I've had a couple advancements on my blockitect game project.  First, another crucial feature has been implemented: the ability to save the game world. Whatever you build will be there the next time you want to play.

The other feature is a new type of block that I will be incorporating at some point.  I did a very quick and crude test tonight just to see if it would be possible, and somewhat to my surprise, it worked like a charm. 
This is proof that the game isn't limited to basic stacking, but also blocks that have interlocking features can be used.  I think lego might even be a possibility but I would need to come up with a way to make firm attachments so they don't fall apart when you pick up combined pieces.  That's not my main focus though, just a musing at this point.

I think my next post on this project will be a link to a video as I want to show these building capabilities off and once that's done I want to do some promotion to get the word out so that I can get some feedback and response.

I did spend some time today doing some research into games that might already exist in this vein.  To my surprise I really haven't found anything.  I'm sure there are some simple block physics games around, including one that actually helped inspire me to work on this project, which you can find here: Rolling Kinetics - Block Fuse

Nothing I've come across though is really like my game, which is a block building game that incorporates real physics and isn't restricted to a grid like minecraft.  That excites me, because it means it's pretty original, and hopefully people will enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment