Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Anker Stein in Unity

While I really like the progress I've made with my Anker block Sketchup project, and continue to work on it, I wanted to post a brief preview of another project I started recently and have made good progress with.  This one has even more potential, and has been incredibly fun to work on.

What I'm showing in these pictures is an early preview of my Ankerstein Unity project. Unity is a free-to-use (for non-profit projects) software utility designed for making sophisticated interactive games.

I've used it sparingly in the past, because the scripting needed to really make a good game is pretty difficult to learn.  However there are a number of game elements that can be purchased, developed by other users, that can make certain aspects of the game making process easier.


Because of that, and with some inspiration derived from my other projects, I decided I could make a pretty decent, if simple, game that while not intended for building structures, would at the least allow a "player" to interact and experience the structures that I've designed (and constructed using the Unity editor), within a fully 3d space.  And not just to look at either, these structures can be fully interacted with using very realistic physics and with sounds as well.



I've been gradually adding blocks, and I'm mostly going to stick to the blocks within the sets that Anker is currently producing, though who knows how far I may eventually take this.  My ultimate goal would be to allow for building structures too, but that will require a lot more skill development within Unity than I currently possess.  For the short term however I would like to get an early build available for download in the very near future that would show off various structures using set #6, for which I have most of the blocks already done.

No comments:

Post a Comment