Monday, August 17, 2015

First post. New blog, old builds.

This is my first post, first time blogging.  This is a place I can share my various block-based creations, projects, and web discoveries related to one of my hobbies: building with blocks.  That includes actual physical blocks, and virtual blocks as well.  So basically anything from wood blocks to Lego to Minecraft.

Since I'm new to the whole blogging thing, this first post is sort of a practice run.  I'll use it to share a few pictures of some of my earlier wood block constructions.

Half Tower
That Half Tower was my first impressive wood block tower.  It blends Treehaus blocks with Blocksmith blocks.  Treehaus are more versatile, cheaper, and I own a lot more, but Blocksmith are more detailed and precision made.  Even though they aren't 100% compatible in size, I find they work well together, and the coloring differences are actually rather nice.


Rook Tower
  The Rook Tower was a bit of an experimental design, attempting to go away from the usual geometric shapes that towers tend to follow.  I like the staggered height use of the half-round blocks in the lower 1/4, giving it a cool pattern.  This photo doesn't show it but I also have a bit of a checker-board look at the base.






King's Landing





This one was a fun attempt to make a sprawling city.  I made use of many new techniques, especially for forming the various walls. 












Ghost Tower
Probably the tallest tower I will ever attempt.  The Ghost Tower made use of every block in my inventory (at that time).  I actually had to slide my dining room table once I realized it was going to hit the light.  Placing the top most blocks was very tricky.  What surprises me most about these large constructions is how durable they are.  It's cool to see how the interesting methods I come up with hold up as I continue to add more and more blocks.

Well that's enough for the first post.  I might go back and post more details and photos of these older builds at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment